Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Part 1: Why I LOVE being tail end of the baby boom


I was just reminded this morning how much I benefit from being tail end of the baby boom.  Sure, reasonable mind can differ about what is the tail end.  I was born in 1961--if you look at the chart above you can see that the birthrate is starting to drop precipitously around then--hence tail end.

But the statistics aren't the money part.  The money part is that being born at the tail end of the baby boom means that about 10 years ahead of me, everything gets changed every minute and I don't have to change it or go through all the sturm und drang but I get to benefit from it.  Boom baby boom.

Some might say, but yeah, you also missed the chance to be a young adult in the summer of love.  Yes, I did.  In the summer of love I was pulled out of third grade and put in the Exploring Family School--a weird place on the edge of San Diego where kids K-12 did "school without walls" (modeled on something called Summerhill in England--or was it Stonehenge, I forget).  This entailed running around building forts and showing each other our private parts behind bushes.  I preferred sitting inside the barn reading algebra textbooks.


But I digress.  The boomers boomed through ahead of me dragging civil rights, sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll with them.  I got to peacefully exercise my right to sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll without being arrested or sleeping in a park or having my parents disown me.  If my teenagers are reading this, know that I'm speaking hyperbolically of course.  By sex I mean kissing.  By drugs I mean Earl Grey Tea.

to be continued...


No comments: