Friday, January 25, 2013

Listen to your body (it's smarter than you are)


They say we teach what we need to learn.  After 2 or 3 years of thinking about starting a support group for chronically ill people, I finally start one--when?  When I'm in the middle of a longterm illness of course.  I'm on the second round of 30 days of sick leave from work (in other words I've been off work a little over 30 days) on doctor's orders.

I have been extremely low energy off and on since October to the point where I haven't been able to work without exhaustion.  Some days i think, this is nonsense, I'm fine and then return to my old level of activity (minus work)--woah, by the end of the day I'm in bed by 7pm unable to string together sentences.

So now I'm preparing to introduce other people to what I've learned about listening to my body, hearing what it was to say and following its direction.  And what do I know about it?  If I'm so good at listening to my body, how come I'm on leave?

Actually, I'm glad I asked.  That's why I'm on leave.  I'm on leave because I listened to my body and to my doctor and this is what I needed to get well.  Now I just need to trust and keep listening.

1 comment:

The Ferris Wheel said...

I love your last question-and-response. More power to you for listening to your body. I wish I could make this class, but have Kid Duties on Thursdays right now.

Having sat through one of your meditations last Sunday, I can only imagine how wonderful this course will be.