Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Definitely Not in Search of Chocolate on the Grid in Sacramento, California


-->



There are infinite ways to walk from J and 23rd streets to 5th and T,
which is where I live.
It’s a grid.
The letters run east west.
And the numbers run north south.
Like that.
There are so many ways to go,
it can be difficult to know when to turn.
At the end of the trip if I have gone 10 blocks south and 18 blocks west,
I will have arrived home.
At first I was cold so I navigated by the sun.
It was a lot warmer heading south on the east side of 19th street.
Then I passed a See’s Candies
and I started thinking about chocolate
a lot.
I had been to a See’s yesterday
to buy valentines.
I don’t eat chocolate
because there isn’t enough chocolate in the world for me.
Normally I don’t buy chocolate
for the same reason.
At the See’s they handed me a “sample.”
I ate it, because it was just a “sample.”
I can hardly be blamed.
Today I still tasted the salty sweet of the sample
in my mouth.
Even so, I walked right by the See’s heading west on J.
This was all before I turned south on 19th street.
When I got to L, I had had enough of the sun.
That was why I turned right.
I did not turn right because I knew
that there was a high end chocolate shop called Ginger Elizabeth on L.
That was not the reason I turned at all.

I got to Ginger Elizabeth and I thought,
“why not just see what they have?”
So I started to open the door.
Unfortunately, there was a long line.
So I moved on.
I had not really been that interested in high end chocolates.

I kept heading down L street
but not because I knew that on the same side of the street,
much further west, there was another See’s.
I can prove that was not my motivation
because I soon crossed to the south side of the street.
If I had just been trying to score chocolate
I would have definitely stayed on the same side of the street
as the See’s.
I didn’t cross the street just because there was construction
and I couldn’t walk on the north side.
The reason I crossed back to the north side
as I got to the Capitol
was just because I have always liked
that little pedestrian area right there on 11th.
Sometimes I run into acquaintances there
from my days working inside that building.
But since I was right there,
on the same block and the same side of the street
as the See’s
by coincidence
I decided I might as well go in
just to see what they had.
I started to open the door,
only to see that there was an even longer line
than the higher end shop had.
I kept walking west
until I came to a stoplight
which I took as a sign to turn left on 7th street
and continue heading south.
I definitely didn’t even consider turning left on 9th instead
in order to go by the 515 Market
where they logically would also sell chocolate
possibly with fewer lines.
The rest of the way home
I congratulated myself
on how deeply spiritual I am
to let my Higher Power
guide me gently home.


No comments: