Monday, February 17, 2020

Admission against interest: Presidents’ Day Weekend in San Francisco is like Disneyland on a Wednesday


-->

The only “D” I ever got was in a class called Evidence taught by Buffalo, New York’s toughest divorce lawyer, Paul Birzon.  Because I got a “D,” I remember almost nothing from the class but this: Hearsay is a form of testimony whereby the witness testifies to something someone else said which proves the truth of the matter at hand (hence is very important to the outcome of the proceeding).  Hearsay is not admissible except for the following 5 million exemptions all of which you must memorize and regurgitate.  Every exemption is an example of a kind of hearsay where it becomes more credible so eventually courts decided to let that kind in (unless they don’t). My favorite, and hence only hearsay exemption I remember, is “admission against interest.”   Admission against interest applies when whatever the witness is repeating that someone else reflects poorly on the witness or otherwise cuts against their obvious interest.
 In this case, I admit against my interest that my husband and I have now spent our second year in a row in a romantic getaway in San Francisco over Presidents’ Day weekend and it is a wonderful weekend to do so.  This is against my interest to admit because the reason it is wonderful is because of how few people are in the city.
 There are enough people to fill theaters and dance clubs and for restaurants to seem lively but there are not enough people to fill the parking spaces, subways or make you wait for anything.  San Francisco on Presidents’ Day weekend is like Disneyland on a Wednesday in October.  You can go on every ride without waiting in line.
x

No comments: