Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Four Snouts up for Crazy Heart

(:)(:)(:)(:) for Crazy Heart starring Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Robert Duvall. I enjoyed this movie very much. Jeff Bridges' performance is extraordinary--so is Maggie Gyllenhaal's. I believe entirely that Bridges' character Bad is a washed up, drunk country singer songwriter with a following. Jeff sings pretty darn well, and it's clearly his own voice. I believe that Gyllenhaal's character falls for him despite his gut, his alcoholism, and the age difference.

And I believe it in spite of heavy-handed flawed dialogue that doesn't always ring true (I thought the scenes between Bad and his protogee turned superstar were painfully badly written). I loved the ending too because it is not typical Hollywood, neither happy nor sad, just real.

No comments: