Friday, March 06, 2020

The Revolution will not be Online: Stop Tweeting & Start Voting


Watching the HUGE crowds and energy for Sanders, the massive cash infusions, and hanging out, as I do, in the Twitterverse, I have BELIEVED and spouted the story that Sanders and his message have galvanized a huge swath of youth and that we need that energy to beat Trump in November.  I have feared that Sanders youth won’t vote in the fall for the Democratic nominee if its not Sanders and wondered why the establishment didn’t take that threat more seriously given that Hillary lost.  I have been angry at the establishment for having its head in the sand (if not somewhere messier), for even considering anointing a lackluster same old same old candidate like Joe Biden.

But here’s the thing: we can have all the money, tweets and rallies in the world, but if we don’t actually get our butts to the polling booth and vote, none of it amounts to a hill of beans (which, come to think of it, is a phrase Joe Biden might utter, and my kids might not even understand.  I’m not sure I even understand it).

Like many strong Sanders supporters, I woke up on Stupor Wednesday hung over with anger at Biden voters and the insider team that orchestrated his resurrection.  After laying low for a couple of days and doing some research, I applied the spiritual axiom that whenever I point my finger at someone else, I have three fingers pointing back at me.   Well not really at me, I voted for Sanders.  The fingers are really pointing at that great swath of Sanders supporters who didn’t vote period.

See, whatever else you want to say about the church ladies in the hats across the south and whom they supported and why, those folks vote.  They know where their polling place is.  They know where their ballot is.  They know how to arrange their lives that day to do it.  They know all of it.  They have voted for decades and many of them do NOT take that right for granted (nor should any of us). Many of them remember a time or a story of a time of poll taxes and overt voter suppression.  (Of course with roll purging, mandatory IDs and stripping of voting rights of people convicted of crimes, those days are still with us).

When I canvassed for Sanders in my neighborhood, every single person who came to the door was a young man, most of color.  Every single one of those told us enthusiastically that they were for Sanders.  On one afternoon alone, out of 6 such people, only one of them seemed to have any idea where or how to vote, and he was the least certain he’d vote for Sanders, it might be someone else.  The others seemed to be under the distinct impression that they could vote online at the last minute (like everything else they do).  When we talked to them about the details of voting, their eyes glazed over and they also indicated that that they would find that out all online when the time comes. 

But it’s not always very easy to find correct voting information online despite best efforts.  For one thing, it varies by county, so widespread Tweets and instagrammage doesn’t necessarily help.  I personally fielded over 10 calls on the day before election day in California from younger friends who couldn’t figure out online where and how to vote.  And those were just the ones who called.  Many others when they encounter an obstacle or find a long line might not vote at all.

If you want people to be even vaguely interested in the threat that you wouldn’t vote for the nominee in November (not a threat I can or would credibly make btw), you need to actually overwhelmingly hugely vote in the primaries now.  Otherwise, all our hopes of defeating Donald Trump are wisely pinned on the church ladies in the hats.

No comments: