Thursday, May 13, 2004

(:)(:)(:) Three Snouts Up for Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself
Before I talk about the movie, I have to add and subtract some previous snouts (I'm just getting the hang of this whole movie critic thing and my snout-based rating system). 1 or 2 of you that actually read my blog will remember that I gave Dogville 3 snouts up and Japanese Story 4 snouts up (out of a possible 5 snouts). In hind(quarter)sight, that really should have been reversed: Dogville was the better, more unique, creative and enduring movie.

Now for Wilbur: I liked the movie very much--it is a small independent picture by the director of Italian for Beginners. It is sweet, well-acted and well-conceived. Despite the title, the movie is not at all depressing. You care about these people and what happens to them and you believe that these are their real lives running a down-at-the-heels book shop in Glasgow. Jamie Sives is dreamy and compelling as the magnetic yet despicable Wilbur--I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see him on the American screen. Even the most minor characters in the strange hospital that intersects with this family's lives are well-drawn, well-acted and interesting. See it, and let me know what you think.

No comments: