Monday, April 30, 2007

Uninformed Musings on the Dem Presidential Primary

With the Democratic Convention just wrapping up in San Diego and John Edwards' face plastered in the Sacramento Bee this morning, my thoughts turn to the Democratic presidential primary. Here are my badly uninformed thoughts so far:

First, as most of you know by now I am badly frightened by Hillary Clinton being the frontrunner (as measured by polls and fundraising). In an election which currently promises to favor the Democratic candidate, nothing could galvanize the right like having Hillary to campaign against. And how am I to be enthusiastic about her? Yes. I recognize and appreciate that a woman is a strong viable candidate in this race--that is progress. But she has been wrong on the war, she has been a dealmaker/Republican accommodationist in the Senate, and I don't trust her. I don't believe she has any strongly held beliefs from which she governs. I think she's power hungry.

Second, Obama. Many of my friends and colleagues are completely ga-ga for Obama. I can see why, he's charismatic, he's leftwing, he's been consistently anti-war, he's got dark skin (some argue we can't call him "black" or even "African-American" because he's not descended from the enslaved people of West Africa), he's fresh and a relative outsider. All intriguing and exciting, but he is so new that I don't have a sense of his record, his commitment or, perhaps mostly importantly, his ability to campaign effectively for national office (we know Hillary can)--his election to the U.S. Senate was a cakewalk.

Then there's John Edwards, for whom, truth be told, if the primary were held today I'd vote. Why? Because I have met him (I've met Hillary too, but...). I have seen him speak. I have watched his career closely. I like him. I trust him. I believe him. I like plaintiff's lawyers. Do I agree with every position he's ever taken? No. Was I blown away by him in person? No. In fact, after meeting him I voted for Dennis Kucinich in the California primary last go round, largely because it was a walk for Kerry already and I thought I should just vote my conscience. But I think he's strong on the stump, has the courage of his convictions, has a way to connect with middle-Americans, and would be a good commander in chief.

As I learn more about Obama, have a chance to see him speak more, I may well gravitate towards him. I am wary of early and heady support for particular presidential candidates--mindful of the Deaniacs last time around (I knew a fair amount about Howard Dean and couldn't see how they could like him so much).

I'm willing to be educated. And of course I haven't even mentioned Bill Richardson, Joe Biden (whom I've always loved), (liberal insurance company guy) Chris Dodd or the possibilities of Kerry or Gore getting into it late. What do you think?

No comments: