Monday, December 12, 2011

It always comes down to people

More and more it seems to me that it always comes down to people.  At least it certainly does in my small world of lobbying in the state capitol and being a spiritual practitioner.  You can talk about institutions, and government and companies, but at the end of the day, what gets me to call someone, go somewhere or get anything done is the individual people.  There will be some particular person who I know, or who has a reputation for getting things done or being loving, kind, cutting to the chase, whatever it is.  I generally don't just want that office, I want that person

In a way, it's not supposed to be this way.  "Principles before personalities" is said to win the day.  Process, mission statements, values, planning all command an immense amount of focus.  And certain organizations--in my world, Southwest Airlines and Sacramento Country Day School come to mind--are able to use those tools to create an impressive consistency in the service and face they provide to the public. 

Yet, it seems to me that even there it's as if the consistency of the mission attracts and retains great people.  I'd like to hear whether you agree.

No comments: