Friday, December 04, 2009

Four Snouts up for Star Trek on DVD

(:)(:)(:)(:) for Star Trek just out on DVD. I didn't get to see this movie on the big screen. My husband did and gave it uniformly positive reviews, something like "the best action adventure movie since Spiderman 2." To me, that meant, well, it's a good movie, and I would probably like it but it didn't get me to rush out and see it.

Well last night I happened to watch it with my son on DVD. I LOVED it! I might even give it 5 snouts up if it weren't for it being about men in funny shirts in outer space and all (I draw the line at calling a space movie one of the best movies of all time, see the key to my snout-based rating system for questions).

Basically, this movie is great because it's very smart and funny. For an action adventure film it's also relatively light on fight or flight sequences. Mainly, you get to learn how Captain Kirk, Spock, Ohuru, Zulu, Chekov, Bones, etc. got their start on the enterprise. This film does a phenomenal job of bridging generations not only of trekkies but of real people. While I'm laughing hysterically and slapping my thy every time the young Dr. McKoy says, "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a transvestite" or something, my 14 year old is charmed by the special effects, or simply by the sight of his mother slapping her thy and shrieking.

I made him play the last sequence where the young Kirk takes command of the U.S.S. Enterprise right before the credits over and over. Priceless!

No comments: