Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Between the Right and a Hard Place

I don't know about you, but I'm loving the Bush administration squirming to have to frantically bolster Harriet Miers anti-abortion credentials, which in turn causes Democratic centrists like Feinstein to have to distance themselves from the possibility of supporting Miers.

I don't know what it all means ultimately about Miers chances at confirmation (could Bush really lose the far right on a confirmation vote?) and I'm not sure it'll result in anything good, but for now, it's quite riveting theater and no matter how you hoist it, his petard has been hooked--what is a "petard", anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Petard: A small bombshell; Injured by his own devices against others.

But I'm assuming it was a rhetorical question, and resisting the urge to make a very UN PC statement about Bush that rhymes w/ Petard.

Anonymous said...

"Petard" from the French, "to break wind" again, wholly appropriate to the context.