Friday, September 28, 2018

We're Mad as Hell and We're Not Going to Take it Anymore

No.  Not me.  The Senate Republicans.  They came out swinging today, furious at the "sham process" -- waaah?  Did I miss something?  They're in charge of the process.  It reminds me of a not-so-hilarious political cartoon at the end of the first W Bush administration, something like "after 4 years of controlling the White House and the Congress, we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore."

I admit it, I spent all day watching the Senate Judiciary Committee Kavanaugh hearing.  I was spellbound by Christine Blasey Ford.  I was disgusted by Brett Kavanaugh's anger and contempt for the senators, particularly the Democratic female senators.

I was actually surprised at how disgusted I was by Kavanaugh.  Unlike some women, I don't have default anger at men.  I was raised by an unconditionally loving, gentle father.  I grew up with gentle, loving brothers.  I am blessed with an incredible loving husband and father of our children.  In short, I have experienced every man in my family, and almost all men in my classrooms and my workplace as wonderful people.   

So default anger at men is just not a setting on my dial.  And, if anything, I need to confess that I even tend to give people accused of crimes (and sexual assault is a crime in case you don't know) the benefit of the doubt.  I almost became a public defender.  This is how much I care about the civil liberties of people accused of crimes.  

When it comes to claims about things done long ago, I sometimes feel too much empathy with possible perpetrators, because I know that I was a larger than life personality as a youth.  I did a lot of outrageous things in college--none of which I would like to be discussed in public today.

So believe me when I say that I was shocked to find just how emotionally triggering I found Brett Kavanaugh's testimony to be today.  I do not think he displayed the temperament of a judge, let alone a supreme court judge.  He was belligerent.  He was argumentative.  He is not a person who I want to hold the law of the land in his hands no matter what his stands are on the issues.

No comments: