Monday, November 06, 2006

LA Times Blogger Mocks my Prayer

A few days ago, in the waning days of the campaign, I wrote a private prayer for the Proposition 89 campaign team and sent it everyone inside the campaign by email. I got a number of private emails back from staff thanking me for it and admitting that they too believed in the power of affirmative prayer and wished they had known sooner that I did too. We all vowed to keep in touch and I felt good.

Two days later, the prayer surfaces on Los Angeles Times reporter and blogger Bob Salladay's blog Political Muscle

I don't much mind having my prayer posted on the internet because I believed that prayer and I like the words being read by more people.

And I don't much mind being mocked for it; that's something I kind of expected. Salladay is good at mocking and it's one reason I'm glad he started blogging. By the way, Bob, I can tell that you've been to Harbin Hot Springs too. Glad I didn't see you naked in the cold pool!

On mockery: I was just reading a hilarious account by Anne Lamont of the self-appointed pastor and monologist of the Church of 80% Sincerity. I love the idea of being 80% sincere. I think that's about where I aspire to operate these days.

However, on Salladay's part this was a low blow, beyond the boundaries of politeness. I mind it.

And what I especially mind, and I mind quite a bit, is that someone with whom I worked, with whom I entrusted my private prayer, valued his relationship with Bob Salladay more than he did his relationship with me or the Proposition 89 campaign and saw fit to violate our trust by cynically shooting this sweet little message to god over to be treated with contempt.

It's okay, though, to borrow from Jack on Will and Grace when he's trying to keep from punching Karen in the face, "I see the face of god in everyone."

No comments: